Pages


Monday, September 24, 2012

The Bangali and Barfi

Like the whole of India and Indians all around the world, Barfi-mania has swept my circle and yesterday when  I was given an opportunity to go to a movie theater and take in a screening of the Ileana- Ranbir- Priyanka-Barfi, I did so. A few quick phone calls, a few clicks on the computer and I was on my way to go watch Barfi with my posse at the closest Century 16 theater.

Watching Barfi melted the barfi in the Bangali's heart! Yes by the time I started writing this piece, the other researchers/reviewers with a minute eye for detail have already thrashed the Director, Anurag Basu for lifting concepts, frames, scenes from numerous movies some going as far back as the early 1900s. But is Barfi only about bringing several feel good scenes together and making one Hindi movie? Sometimes stirring in the best ingredients don't make the most delicious meal-right? Barfi to me was more than a feel good film. And I am not suggesting that lack of creativity is good for Bollywood (!!)!  But films are made to provide entertainment to the human soul and did Barfi do that? Films are a medium for the human life to escape into a world of suspended disbelief and did Barfi do that? Could you relate to the myriads of complex human emotions in the movie? For all these my personal answer is a big resounding Yes.

I was entertained by Barfi and Dutta; I was transported back to those days when like Ileana I was  "double-carried" on a cycle by someone I loved- having made that split second decision to sit in a more "un" comfortable position on the bar in front. The misty mountains of Darjeeling, the low hanging clouds, the toy train chugging along, the millions of people teeming around in a busy Kolkata street, etched writing on a steel bowl,  fuchka, howrah bridge...duranto ghurni in Hemanta's voice in the background.....Nostalgia you say, I say sure why not?

Such an appreciation for the small things in life comes from deep within. And its not that difficult to see that Anurag Basu did not only make the movie to make money. He is a cancer survivor...I hope this movie is an expression of his want to live life as it should be....


No comments:

Post a Comment