Pages


Sunday, January 22, 2012

Movies and Tears

There was a time when I sat at a now non-existent movie theater in the City of Joy and watched Titanic. While most of the girls took out anything that would wipe their tears off, I remember having not shed a tear. I was moved a little bit when I watched "Swades"- a Bollywood movie dealing with a NASA scientist moving back to his hometown back in India. Things  have definitely changed I have to admit. Today when I watched a movie that dealt with human relationships- online dating with a stranger, phone dating with a cross connection caller, a husband and wife who lived separately but still cared for each other, a mother's concern for her daughter and a boss' protectiveness for her young protege, I was crying my heart and ducts out - soulful music did not make it easier. Somehow I had managed to resonate with the relationships being played out by the characters on screen.

Made me revisit, I think, the frailty of human life, relationships being part of it and how all of us surge ahead in this rat race of life, without pausing one second to take may be a deep meaningful breath! Just as I hate my Mother calling me up everyday to make sure whether I was doing ok, I know that I want that call to keep coming, more so now than ever. Today, I wanted to take in the movie, feel one with it, feel what the characters were going through because aren't we all a mix of what we see on the screen? So yes, I am not ashamed to say that today that same girl who walked out of watching Titanic without shedding a tear, used a box of tissues to take care of the waterworks! Do you do that often?

1 comment:

  1. I never cry when watching a movie. If the movie is such, it moves me obviously, there is a choking feeling in my throat...but tears don't fall.

    ReplyDelete